Thursday 8 October 2009

i love art, he loves real life..


When I was younger, what made me happy was to go into art galleries and see pictures hung on the walls; mainly paintings, photography, prints.. I would look at the composition, colour, shape and line, and if I liked them then that would be my conclusion. THAT I LIKED THEM. And, heck, there's nothing wrong with liking art, but as time passed and I grew more and more involved in art, I knew there had to be something more to it than making a visually pleasing piece of work..

It's thanks to artists like Ross Sinclair, who explore that relationship between art and real life that I now not only LIKE art, I LOVE ART. Art has opened up my mind to so many different aspects of life and the world we live in -that, for me, art is now more real than ever.
Sinclair's 1998 exhibit, "Do All Oceans Have Walls?" relates 6 different institutions as places we all visit at least once in our lives. He does this by installing six neon "I LOVE REAL LIFE" signs in a school, hospital, police station, fast food joint, an office and a church. These signs were installed in an attempt to make the viewer think about the environment they were in rather than the sign itself. These signs act as a footnote to the work as a whole - take these signs out of the institutions and they no longer exist as an artwork. The context of the work is just as important as the pieces themselves. It is in doing this that Sinclair is so successful at describing this possible relationship between art and real life that I just LOVE.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment