Tuesday 19 January 2010

drawing the landscape



Whilst researching the history of Bellahouston Park, i discovered that in the 1990s parts of the park were restricted due to subsidence caused by old mine works underneath the south side of the park. This made me take interest in the park's landforms, the hills, the flat surfaces, the dips and the curves. As part of my development of this, I have started thinking about contours, and what these lines mean in a landscape. When I look at maps, these contour lines look beautiful, the way they flow around a page to distinguish the form of the land. I thought it would be interesting if these lines actually existed in our environment. I went to the park today with brightly coloured ribbon with which I attempted to mark out contours on the landscape - obviously not accurately as you can tell from the photos, but I just wanted to have an idea of what these contour lines might look like if they truly existed. I then started using the ribbons not only to describe the shape of the earth beneath me but to show the relationship between the form of the land and the things upon it. The trees that stand in Bellahouston Park started out as tiny little seeds in the lands soil, and are completely dependent on the land in which they fix their roots. The areas where there are trees would look so different if these trees were non existant, so I have used the ribbons to describe this relationship between the form of the trees and the land.


No comments:

Post a Comment